Accessing Estes Park proves easy, no matter the season. Estes Park is close to neighboring Front Range communities and Denver. From cities east of the Rockies-Loveland, Fort Collins, Greeley, Longmont, Boulder and Denver, there are no mountain passes to cross, and the state and U.S. highways serving the area are well-maintained. Boasting long views of 8,500- to 14,000-foot-high snowcapped peaks, canyon rivers, foraging wildlife and rolling meadows, the drives also are as beautiful as they are convenient.
Equally picturesque, Trail Ridge Road (U.S. Highway 34) provides entry to Estes Park (elevation 7,522) from the west, notably from Granby and Grand Lake. The road usually opens Memorial Day weekend; snow forces its closure by early to mid-October. For mileages and approximate travel times from Colorado cities and other U.S locations, see the chart below.
Directions from Denver International Airport:
Toll Road Bypass:
- Quickest Route: Exit the airport on Pena Blvd to toll road E-470 northwest to I-25. Travel north until exiting on CO 66 west towards Estes Park. E-470 Toll charges apply for a two-axle vehicle. Possible increased tolls for rental vehicles, please contact your car rental company for additional details. Bypasses most of Denver in-city traffic. From Lyons, CO take Hwy 36 to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr, & 26 min., 76 miles. Google Map
- Scenic Route: Follow above directions to Lyons. From downtown Lyons, CO take Hwy 7 south to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr. & 49 min., 89 miles. Google Map
- Through Boulder: Exit the airport on Pena Blvd to toll road E-470 northwest past I-25 to US Hwy 36. Take US 36 northwest through Boulder to Lyons. In Lyons, turn left, continuing on US 36 west to downtown where you will turn right to remain on US 36 to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr. & 36 min., 79 miles. Google Map
Pena Blvd Route (no tolls):
- Through Longmont: Exit the airport onto Pena Blvd., follow until exiting onto I-70 West then quickly exiting onto I-270. Follow I-270 until exiting north on I-25. Travel north until exiting on CO 66 west towards Estes Park. From Lyons, CO take Hwy 36 to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr. 48 minutes, 86 miles. Google Map
- Scenic Route: Follow above directions to Lyons. In downtown Lyons, take CO Hwy 7 to Estes Park. Estimated 2 hrs. & 11 min., 100 miles. Google Map
- Through Boulder: Exit the airport onto Pena Blvd., follow until exiting onto I-70 West then quickly exiting onto I-270 to US 36 W. Take US 36 northwest through Boulder to Lyons. In Lyons, turn left, continuing on US 36 west to downtown where you will turn right to remain on US 36 to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr. & 48 min, 81 miles. Google Map
*Note distances & times may vary due to road construction, weather, etc.
Driving Distance From Major U.S. Cities
|New York, NY||1825||27.75|
Driving Distance From Colorado Cities