U.S. Highway 34 Construction Updates (Loveland to Estes Park)
Highway 34 is open this weekend! Starting Saturday, May 6 at 6am until Monday, May 8 at 8:30am! Come celebrate at the Duck Race Festival and enjoy the Visit Estes Park Fun Zone with lawn games galore and even a dunk tank!
US 34 remains open to all traffic between Estes park and Loveland. Expect approximate 15-30 minute delays when travelling the canyon, as rolling lane closures occur.
Fall & Winter 2017-18
- Closure will begin early October and be complete May 24, 2018, permits will be required during this time
- Intermittent traffic delays for finishing work, paving through October 2018
- Off roadway river work through December 2018
Additional construction details and updates can be found on the CDOT website.
Distance and Travel Times for Alternate Routes (times may vary with traffic):
Loveland to Estes via I-25: 65 minutes, 50.5 miles
Central Loveland to Estes via CO Hwy 287 to US Hwy 36: 59 minutes, 45 miles
Repairs to Upper State Highway 7, from Lily Lake to Meeker Park
- Working hours will be will be Monday – Friday from 7 AM – 5 PM with any traffic disruptions ending by noon on Friday.
- 10-20 min weekday delays are expected through October, 2017 when the project is scheduled to be complete
- Full closures of SH-7 are not expected, but single-lane traffic at culvert crossings that will be managed with temporary signals.
- Signals will alternate traffic during non-construction hours with a maximum 5-minute hold.
- During working hours flaggers will maintain holds shorter than 10 min the exception of days when rock fall mitigation occurs which may require holds up to 30 minutes.
- Sign up for project updates here.
US 34 Talking Points & Local News
- US Highway 34 will remain open through the summer of 2016 and into early October.
- Some pre-construction work will be done, causing periodic short-duration delays from July to October.
- Major construction and the associated closure to through traffic will begin in early October, after Elk Fest. The exact date has not yet been released.
- The additional mileage and travel time for the closure detours through Lyons are very minimal:
- Only 14 additional miles and only 11 additional minutes from the center of Loveland.
- Only 17 miles and 14 minutes longer from I-25 in Loveland.
- See the maps above for route options and details.
- While this process is a major reconstruction, we have confidence that CDOT and Kiewit Construction will efficiently manage this project and reopen the highway as quickly as possible.
Download a pdf of these talking points to share with your staff, including a map for your front desk.
The Colorado Department of Transportation and Kiewit Infrastructure Co. will host a public meeting on Wednesday, July 20, at 6 p.m. at the Ellis Ranch in Loveland, 2331 Ellis Ranch Lane, to discuss impacts of work in the US 34 canyon through the summer.
Full details of what will be covered at this meeting can be found here. We encourage you to attend this meeting to learn more about this important flood recovery project.
While you might start to see construction-related activities beginning Monday, July 18, as Kiewit begins mobilizing personnel, equipment, and materials to the area and setting up their field trailers, traffic impacts won't begin until August.
As the project now starts to turn to the construction phase, we want to also call your attention to these new project information resources so you can program them into your devices:
Visit Estes Park will continue to monitor public conversations around this topic on social media and through guest interactions. We will work continuously throughout the construction process to correct any misconceptions and counter negative press. If you encounter erroneous, negative or concerning comments or information, please send it to Elizabeth at EFogarty@VisitEstesPark.com