Accessing Estes Park proves easy, no matter the season. Estes Park is close to neighboring Front Range communities and Denver. From cities east of the Rockies-Loveland, Fort Collins, Greeley, Longmont, Boulder and Denver, there are no mountain passes to cross, and the state and U.S. highways serving the area are well-maintained. Boasting long views of 8,500- to 14,000-foot-high snowcapped peaks, canyon rivers, foraging wildlife and rolling meadows, the drives also are as beautiful as they are convenient.
Equally picturesque, Trail Ridge Road (U.S. Highway 34) provides entry to Estes Park (elevation 7,522) from the west, notably from Granby and Grand Lake. The road usually opens Memorial Day weekend; snow forces its closure by early to mid-October. For mileages and approximate travel times from Colorado cities and other U.S locations, see the chart below.
Directions from Denver International Airport:
Toll Road Bypass:
- Quickest Route: Exit the airport on Pena Blvd to toll road E-470 northwest to I-25. Travel north until exiting on CO 66 west towards Estes Park. E-470 Toll charges apply for a two-axle vehicle. Possible increased tolls for rental vehicles, please contact your car rental company for additional details. Bypasses most of Denver in-city traffic. From Lyons, CO take Hwy 36 to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr, & 26 min., 76 miles. Google Map
- Scenic Route: Follow above directions to Lyons. From downtown Lyons, CO take Hwy 7 south to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr. & 49 min., 89 miles. Google Map
- Through Boulder: Exit the airport on Pena Blvd to toll road E-470 northwest past I-25 to US Hwy 36. Take US 36 northwest through Boulder to Lyons. In Lyons, turn left, continuing on US 36 west to downtown where you will turn right to remain on US 36 to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr. & 36 min., 79 miles. Google Map
Pena Blvd Route (no tolls):
- Through Longmont: Exit the airport onto Pena Blvd., follow until exiting onto I-70 West then quickly exiting onto I-270. Follow I-270 until exiting north on I-25. Travel north until exiting on CO 66 west towards Estes Park. From Lyons, CO take Hwy 36 to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr. 48 minutes, 86 miles. Google Map
- Scenic Route: Follow above directions to Lyons. In downtown Lyons, take CO Hwy 7 to Estes Park. Estimated 2 hrs. & 11 min., 100 miles. Google Map
- Through Boulder: Exit the airport onto Pena Blvd., follow until exiting onto I-70 West then quickly exiting onto I-270 to US 36 W. Take US 36 northwest through Boulder to Lyons. In Lyons, turn left, continuing on US 36 west to downtown where you will turn right to remain on US 36 to Estes Park. Estimated 1 hr. & 48 min, 81 miles. Google Map
*Note distances & times may vary due to road construction, weather, etc.
U.S. Highway 34 Construction Updates (Loveland to Estes Park)
Fall to Spring: October 17, 2016 to Early June 2017
A section of US 34 in the Big Thompson Canyon – between Cedar Cove and Drake (map) – will be closed to general public travel during this time period, preventing through travel on US 34 from Loveland to Estes Park. The closure is to allow major rock blasting as part of reconstruction from damage caused by the 2013 flood.
Travel from Estes Park to Drake via US 34 and County Rd. 43 will be open during this time.
The alternate routes for those coming from the north and northeast are easy detours south to Longmont and west through Lyons. These detours add less than 15 minutes to the drive to Estes Park.
- From the center of Loveland, the detour adds 14 miles and only 11 minutes to the drive
- From I-25 and US-34 in Loveland, the detour adds 17 miles and only 14 minutes to the drive
- See the maps below for route options and details
Additional construction details and updates can be found on the CDOT website.
Distance and Travel Times for Alternate Routes (times may vary with traffic):
Loveland to Estes via I-25: 65 minutes, 50.5 miles
Central Loveland to Estes via CO Hwy 287 to US Hwy 36: 59 minutes, 45 miles
Repairs to Upper State Highway 7, from Lily Lake to Meeker Park
- Working hours will be will be Monday – Friday from 7 AM – 7 PM with any traffic disruptions ending by noon on Friday.
- 10-20 min weekday delays are expected through November 15, 2016.
- Full closures of SH-7 are not expected, but single-lane traffic at culvert crossings that will be managed with temporary signals.
- Signals will alternate traffic during non-construction hours with a maximum 5-minute hold.
- During working hours flaggers will maintain holds shorter than 10 min the exception of days when rock fall mitigation occurs which may require holds up to 30 minutes.
- Sign up for project updates here.
County Road 43 (Devil's Gulch Road), from Estes Park to Drake via Glen Haven
- This road is undergoing the final stages of reconstruction. Some delays may occur as signs and fencing are being installed. For additional construction information, please call 800-536-4403.
Driving Distance From Major U.S. Cities
|New York, NY||1825||27.75|
Driving Distance From Colorado Cities