Fire Restrictions & Information
While there are currently no wildfires in the Estes Park region, fire restrictions and safety are important to be aware of in Colorado. For current fire restriction information check below.
Rocky Mountain National Park currently has burn bans in effect. Campfires are only allowed in the park within designated campfire rings in picnic areas and front-country campgrounds.
July 11, 2017
Due to dry conditions, the danger of wildfire, forest, and grass fires is very high in the Estes Valley. These restrictions were based on current and forecasted fuel and weather conditions and restrictions issued by neighboring agencies. I hereby issue an open burning RESTRICTION within the Estes Valley Fire Protection District effective 12:00, July 11, 2017.
- No open fires, including camp or cooking fires
- Smoking in the open is not allowed, including trails, parks, and open spaces
- No fireworks or firework displays
- No incendiary devices, exploding ammunition, exploding targets, or tracer ammunition
- Welding or operating acetylene or other torch with an open flame on outdoor property unless approved by the Estes Valley Fire Code Official
- All burn permits are suspended until further notice
- Contained open fires in permanently constructed, stationary, masonry or metal fireplaces specifically designed for the purpose of combustion (fuel pile must be less than 3 ft in diameter and 2 ft in height)
- Fireplaces or wood stoves located inside permanent structures
- LPG or natural gas fired grills at private residences
- Compressed gas or Coleman fueled stoves and lanterns at developed campgrounds or picnic grounds
- Charcoal fired grills when located on a non-combustible surface of at least ten feet in diameter
- Approved grills used for the commercial cooking of food
- Flares used by Public Safety agencies to warn the public of danger
- Training fires used by Public Safety agencies
- The use of internal or external combustion engine with a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order and meeting published standards
These restrictions are dependent on the current fire danger and will be evaluated regularly. This restriction shall be effective from 12:00, July 11, 2017 until otherwise lifted or changed by the Fire Chief or his designee.