2015 was a big year for Estes Park! But, just because the year is coming to an end, doesn’t mean you’ve missed your chance. Check out this list of 2015 Estes happenings that you can tap into in the new year!
1. Local pro climber Tommy Caldwell gained notoriety last January when he and his partner made the first continuous ascent of the Dawn Wall. You can work up to such a feat by training in Tommy’s backyard – Estes Park – or learning something new with the expanded offerings in Rocky from Kent Mountain Adventures. Find out more about climbing around here with this video featuring fellow Estes native and pro climber, Page Claassen.
3. 2015 saw two new breweries open in Estes Park - Rock Cut Brewing and Lumpy Ridge Brewing! Swing by them both in the New Year for a refreshing selection of hand-crafted ales, lagers, porters and more!
4. The great thing about annual events is that they come back every year! The Estes Park Wine Festival premiered in August and will host their second annual event in August 2016.
5. The National Park System’s Every Kid in a Park program debuted in 2015 providing a free, annual coast-to-coast national park pass for every 4th grader. Don’t fret though. The program continues into 2016, so download your voucher today and get to Rocky to trade it in for your pass!
6. The 1st Annual Rut Run 5K kicked off the 2015 Elk Fest. Don’t worry; it will be back next year. Mark your calendar for October 1st to help us celebrate Elktober 2016 or check out this year’s race schedule to find your perfect run at altitude!
7. Estes Park landed on the Smithsonian’s top Ten Places to Visit in 2015. Don’t worry, all the things that got Estes on the 2015 list will still be here in 2016, so you’ll have your chance to experience the beauty and fun of this “top” destination!
8. Estes Park premiered the first season of Movies in the Mountains last summer. This monthly event featured local craft beverages, live music, local food and great movies – all outdoors in Performance Park. In 2016, Movies in the Mountains will now have two showings monthly!
9. Old Fall River Road reopened for the first time in almost two years! Although it’s currently closed for the season now, in spring of 2016 you’ll be able to see the stunning views this road has to offer. Watch this video to get a glimpse of the famous road as it looks from a bike in autumn.
10. Stand up paddle boards were introduced at the Lake Estes Marina in 2015, and made such a splash they will be available to you again for the 2016 summer! Find out how SUPs can be part of a serene getaway to Estes Park in this video.
As you can see, 2015 was a big year for Estes Park. Cast your FOMO aside, as there’s even more fun coming this year. From #FindYourPark centennial activities to a new distillery, a new Celtic concert to a new 5K race, there will be plenty of new activities, events and experiences for all in the coming year!