New Happenings in Estes Park, CO for Fall and Winter 2014-2015
New offerings and Rocky Mountain National Park's centennial anniversary enhance the ideal outdoor adventure destination
ESTES PARK, Colo. - Known as the base camp to Rocky Mountain National Park (RMNP), Estes Park is a Colorado mountain village beloved by residents and guests alike. With a variety of historical tours, a range of activities and adventures guided by local outdoor experts, and a number of unique festivals, Estes Park is an excellent destination for guests of all ages. This year and through September 2015, the town will help celebrate RMNP's Centennial Anniversary with special packages, events and more robust outdoor programming in the park. Below is a sample of new offerings and the beginning of centennial celebrations in the destination.
Rocky Mountain National Park Centennial
- Ranger-Led Programs in RMNP - Guests can walk side-by-side with a park ranger while learning about the environment surrounding them. From wilderness and wildlife walks to full moon snowshoeing events, there are a variety of choices to appeal to everyone's interest.
- New Classes at Rocky Mountain Conservancy - A non-profit organization supporting RMNP, Rocky Mountain Conservancy offers interactive, hands-on courses year-round to get people into the park and learning about the abundant flora and fauna of the area. New seminars this winter include a Wintertime Wonders Bus Tour; a snowshoeing trek for families; and a winter photography course.
- Rocky Mountain National Park Special at The Stanley Hotel - The Stanley Hotel is offering a Rocky Mountain National Park Special through December 30, 2014. The package includes a week-long pass to Rocky Mountain National Park and a $25 food and beverage coupon.
- Rocky Mountain National Park Centennial Birthday Party, (Jan 26, 2015) - Rocky Mountain National Park is turning 100 on January 26, 2015. The birthday bash will mark the official release of the Centennial Film from Fall River Productions in Estes Park.
- For the most up-to-date information on Rocky's Centennial, visit:
What's New in Estes Park
- Dancing Pines Distillery Opens Tasting Room - Dancing Pines Distillery, located in downtown Estes Park, opened a new tasting room in September. The tasting room is open to the public daily from 1 p.m. - 8 p.m. and serves samples, cocktails and small plates.
- Rocky Mountain Park Inn Renovations - Rocky Mountain Park Inn is set to begin room renovations in December. The project is slated for completion by February 2015 and will include new carpeting, drapes, furniture, lighting and art.
- New Pocket Park Playground - A new playground was constructed near the intersection of Larkspur and Carriage Drive in late September, overlooking open space and small fishing ponds. Estes Park was chosen by Nordson Corporation to receive the park as a donation after the 2013 floods.
- Dragon Leaf Tea Co. Opens - The new Dragon Leaf Tea Co. opened in late August. A wide variety of white, green, oolong, black and pu-erh loose leaf teas are now available for purchase in-store or online, along with organic herbs, essential sugar canes and unique tea essentials. Dragon Leaf's experts will assist you with a custom tea blend to soothe your spirit or give you a boost.
- Moon Kats Tea Shoppe Moves to Estes Park - Moon Kats Tea Shoppe moved from Littleton to downtown Estes Park in August and is now located in the historic Prospect Inn. In addition to tea and homemade pastries, customers can enjoy a full lunch menu including a variety of salads and sandwiches.
- La Hacienda Bar & Grill Opens - The new La Hacienda Bar & Grill opened near downtown Estes Park in September. The family-owned restaurant offers authentic Mexican cuisine including tacos, burritos and enchiladas. Diners can enjoy scenic views overlooking the downtown Estes Park village from the roof-top patio.
Packages & Deals
- Riverspointe Spa Seasonal Specials - The Riverspointe Spa has added two new specials for fall and winter. Available through March 2015, the "Winter Warmer" package includes a 90-minute Hot River Rock massage and a hydrating Healing Soles treatment. The 75-minute autumn seasonal massage incorporates Balsam Fir and Nutmeg, which are known for their anti-inflammatory properties and ability to help ease muscular tension. Winter Warmer, $135/person; Healing Soles, $120/person.
- Mountain Shadows Resort Winter Special - Guests who stay two nights at Mountain Shadows Resort can receive a third night free with the winter special. The offer is available now through May 15, 2015.
- McGregor Mountain Lodge Winter Pass - McGregor Mountain Lodge's winter pass allows guests to purchase a five-night credit for any one-bedroom cottage or suite. All five nights can be used at the same time or split up, but must be used by May 21, 2015. Winter Pass rate is $599/pass.
- Della Terra Mountain Romantic Getaway Special - Della Terra Mountain romance deal includes champagne, rose petals, flameless candles and a 60-minute couples massage when booking two consecutive nights over at least one weekday. Rates start at $540 and the special is available November 1, 2014 - April 30, 2015.
Not-To-Miss Festivals & Events
- Shop Local "Festive Fridays", (Nov 7 - Dec 26, 2014) - Several locally owned Estes Park shops including Mad Moose, Riverspointe Spa, Indigo and Wildflower Mercantile are participating in this year's "Festive Fridays." Each location will have a fun shopping atmosphere and added value with special deals and offerings.
- Catch the Glow Sneak Peek, (Nov 24, 2014) - As a precursor to the main event, the sneak peak will include a wine and cheese reception for press and VIPs at the Events Center from 5:00 - 6:30 p.m. Michael Young will also be sharing stories behind the constriction and inspirations of each of the standout floats.
- Nick Mollé Centennial Film Release, (Nov 27, 2014) - Award winning filmmaker, producer and director Nick Mollé has filmed Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park for twenty years. His centennial film, "The Living Dream: 100 Years of Rocky Mountain National Park", is expected to be released this Thanksgiving.
- Catch The Glow Christmas Parade & Celebration, (Nov 28-29, 2014) - This annual family-friendly event features live Christmas music, free hayrides, visits with Santa, a display of holiday lights and a nighttime parade complete with festive floats. Family activities and festive carolers continue throughout the weekend.
- Santa's Workshop, (Nov 29-30) - New for 2014, Santa's Workshop invites all kids to come to the new Estes Park Events Complex to build holiday crafts, make gingerbread houses, ride the barrel train, enjoy classic Christmas treats, and more - all with Santa himself!
- The Tinsel Tavern Tour & Dasher 5K, (Dec 13, 2014) - Returning for the second year in a row is the Tinsel Tavern Tour and Dasher 5K. Dasher 5K participants are encouraged to dress in their favorite holiday outfit and run through the heart of downtown Estes Park. Following the run is the Tinsel Tavern Tour at 7 p.m. The Tinsel Tavern Tour kicks-off with live entertainment and appetizers before boarding the Elkhorn Trolley to visit a lineup of favorite Estes Park taverns.
- Estes Park Winter Festival, (Jan 16 - 19, 2015) - Estes Park's annual winter festival is back in 2015 after taking a one-year hiatus. This family festival is packed with winter festivities including ice skating downtown, chili tasting, beer and wine sipping, kids' activities and live music. Head into Rocky Mountain National Park Stay for Winter Trails Day with family fun and snow shoe demos.
- Whiskey Warm Up Weekend, (Feb 7-8, 2015) - Estes Park will be hosting Whiskey Warm Up Weekend downtown and at the new Estes Park Events Complex. On Saturday guests can warm up while sipping on a selection of Colorado whiskeys from local distilleries and learning all about the spirit at custom whiskey tasting classes. Downtown family activities include face painting, pony rides, ice-skating and a s'mores bar on Saturday and Sunday. Guests can enjoy special whiskey pairing menus and cocktails at restaurants and pubs all weekend throughout the village.
About Estes Park
Nestled in one of nature's most stunning locations adjacent to Rocky Mountain National Park, Estes Park is an outdoor-lover's paradise offering seemingly endless activities. Year-round pursuits fueled by "leg-power" include everything from hiking, horseback riding, fly fishing, wildlife and bird watching, to snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and much more. The authentic, low-key charm of Estes Park coupled with a wealth of activities makes Estes Park a very popular destination not only for nature enthusiasts, but for active couples of all ages and families of all sizes.